Thursday 19 May 2011

Atonement

I recently saw this movie three days ago. I felt that i wanted to see it since it was in the book '1001 films to see before you die' by Steven Jay Schneider. I scratched my head when 'Juno' was not in it but films like 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' and 'Atonement' have made into the list. Well, i guess he has a different taste. It's a good book actually, and a nice list too.

Atonement, not many films that i've watched in my life have the same genre as this one. I was in the mood for something romantic and sad, so i popped in this one. My first impression, "wow, it's going to take me somewhere", I'm a fan of Saoirse Ronan, i think she's an excellent child actor, and she proved me right in this film. Although her lines weren't many, and that it wasn't her playing the older version of 'briony tellis', she did stand out than Kiera Knightly or James McAvoy in this film.

Putting her aside, the first part of the film was quite good, and it's the kind of feeling when you want to know something memorable's going to happen. i had the same feeling intially when i saw 'juno'. As we go along the film i noticed bits of pieces that i felt were a bit awkward at times and that feeling when you get by 'too cheesy' lines like ''just look at me, look at me, i'm here", a scene when Robbie ranted out at Briony, and Ceceelia calmed him down by saying those words. i did felt a bit turned off by that. 

but there were time in the film when i thought were pretty good. like the continous scene near the beach, with a steadicam, walking across the beach and seeing more than 300,000 people waiting to get home.

it was supposed to be a sad film, but i didn't feel it that way. overall i'd give this film a modest 2 out of four stars

No comments:

Post a Comment