Sunday 31 July 2011

My views about this course

      Initially before I signed up for this subject I thought I was one of those few who would only see films that are very rare here in Malaysia. And true, I did. And they're not even rare, they're unheard of! I always spend my time on Wikipedia and search for films or I would go to Youtube and search for some trailers. And most of the films that I wanted to watch are never in Malaysia. Luckily, my dad bought me a book called "1001 Movies you must see before you die - Jason Solomons, Steven Jay Schneider", which I then went through to put films on my 'wish list'. But I only wished to see films that were quite well known. Films from Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, Gus Van Sant, I practically ignored the earlier golden age of cinema. That's why when I first entered this course I was young boy waiting to be educated. And I did.

     I signed up for this course because of my love for films and hope to be part of it someday. I learned that even the slightest scene with amazing photography, camera angles, lighting and editing can make so much of a difference. I even learned that how every scene of a film is trying to tell us something. Often, latent. I learned that films are not just films, they are powerful imaginations of a group of people. What separates the good films from the bad films are details, perfection and time.

     Here are the list of my favorite films from this course.

1. Chinatown
2. Some Like It Hot
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Singing in the Rain
5. Strangers on a Train
6. Paris is Burning
7. The General
8. M.
9. Night and Fog

     If I were to say something about this course that it does not have any cons. Every film is functional, and these films should be shown so that we know the directors from this era had learned from the filmmakers from earlier eras'. We should know that James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, and other notable filmmakers had learned from Fritz Lang, Stanley Kubrick, and Alfred Hitchcock. Without them, there won't be any film world today.

   If I were to suggest films for this course it would be from 'cult-films' and how it influenced people today. Such films like 'Rushmore - Wes Anderson' and 'Fight Club - David Fincher'. Or, i suggest the world of independent films like 'Little Miss Sunshine - Jonathan Davis, Valerie Faris'.

   I leave this blog with a final say, that I learned a lot from this course. I am lucky to have had this course before I leave to the states. So, thank you Mr. Rey, for teaching me this course. I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment