Monday 27 June 2011

Animations

 
    The most obvious form of expressionism has to be 'animations'. I love animations. In this post I'm not going to talk about the Pixar or DreamWorks kinds of animations (although, my favorite Pixar films are Toy Story, Monster's inc., Ratatouille and Up). Big animation companies usually strive for family orientated comedies and stories that would touch our very souls. I have yet to see Quentin Tarantino or Martin Scorsese directing a gangster film using animations. I've dreamt about it sometimes. What I’m about to talk is the severe form of expressionism in animations. Animators whom I adore so much that when you look at their animations, some might think how oddly strange these people are. I look at it as a form of 'severe expressionism'. Their animations, in my opinion, are depicted solely like what they're really thinking about. David Firth, David Shrigley and Don Hertzfelt




I've recently came across David Firth when I was strolling trough YouTube and I instantly fell in love with his animations. He uses, bland, solid colors and his stories are often distorted with people with mental illnesses. His messages are deep, often to the point that you can't really point out what he's trying to convey sometimes. When I see his animations I've always thought I connected to his stories in one way or another. Dark, gloomy visuals always kept me happy, and even though Firth's animations are creepy they've always made me feel somehow. This is one of my favorite animations from him.Purely excellent.   


 David Shrigley is more of a comical lad. Sometimes I wonder if he randomly used some element in his animations or if he thought about it beforehand. He's also uses dark visuals that are almost comical in a sense. Amazingly,he doesn't use any colors and still it feels dark. He's like David Firth in a way. Using very deep messages, but they aren't as emotional as firth's animations. This is one of the many favorite short films from Shrigley.




 

Finally, Don Herzfelt. For your information his short animation film 'Rejected' was nominated for an Academy Award, and it's my favorite. Satirical, dark and bold. Animations that make me feel like I'm part of something. Oh, and the background I'm using for this blog is one of the many cute characters from this short film. Enjoy responsibly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment