Friday 10 June 2011

gore, violence and cringing bloody moments

Gore and violence in films are quite new to my life. I've only started discovering some of these films after I watched Quentin Tarantino movies and now, he is one of the most important film directors in my life.

Once I heard a talk about the difference between 'cartoon-like' gore and cringe worthy moments on Bfm 89.9, and I agree that some of the films are just made so that people say "ewww" rather than "ouch". Films like 'A Serbian Film', 'The Human Centipede', 'Final Destination' or 'House of Wax' made think "what the hell is this?" Sometimes I laugh at these kinds of films because of the way gore is depicted. It just doesn't have that 'flare' or intensity.

Whereas there are the cringe worthy moments. Like the scene in '127 Hours', where James Franco amputates his own hand. I've seen a lot of nasty stuff in my life but even that scene made me cringe. Or even the final scene in 'Inglorious Basterds', where Brad Pitt carved a Nazi sign on Christoph Waltz's forehead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment